Monday, October 20, 2008

Where’s the outrage (pt. 2)


I’m back and I have to get on the hip hop bashers (read: hypocrites) once again. I mean the ones who claim that hip hop is a 21st century minstrel show, playing on negative stereotypes. Again I have to ask the question: Why are rappers condemned to be minstrels or “coons” but black comedians get a pass. Now I will admit part of this rant is because with the exception of the late George Carlin, I’m not a fan comedians of any race, but I especially loathe black comedians. Why? Well first of all there’s nothing funny about racism. It wasn’t funny when the guy from Seinfeld made jokes about black people, or the fat Italian woman (whose name escapes me at this moment) who makes jokes about black men and it’s not funny when Chris Rock or any other black comedian makes jokes about white people. But my main beef is how these Step and fetchit wanna-bes get on T.V. and set us back to the Amos and Andy era. What’s worse is people are so caught up in bashing hip hop that they don’t see it. Everyone and their mother wants to denounce hip hop and yet are literally splitting their sides laughing at black comedians who perpetuate worse stereotypes than any rapper (gangsta or otherwise) would ever do. No, hip hop is not perfect by a longshot. However like I said last time, if you are going to get on one, then get on the other too.

No comments: